Caspian Media is looking for a talented Features Technology Editor, passionate about technology and applied science, to commission, write and edit excellent features to the highest standards.
Professional Engineering is the well-established membership magazine of the prestigious Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Our audience is primarily working engineers and students, although the website is for anyone fascinated by bleeding edge tech. But PE is not a dry, technical publication - instead, our stories are about digging deeper, finding fascinating new insights about our world – and writing about them in an interesting and exciting way.
To be successful in this role, you will require extensive experience as a science and technology journalist, having worked at a leading publication. You will also hold a recognised qualification in journalism. With up-to-date knowledge of what’s going on in the engineering, technology and applied science world, you’ll be covering tech - but it won’t be just about gadgets. Instead, you could be producing stories on the latest space endeavours, or be talking to engineers about 3D printed aircraft engines. You’ll relish the opportunity to spot new smart city and IoT trends. Your industry contacts and your ability to find stories and trends before anyone else with give you the edge to help turn your ideas and research into feature-length articles that will entertain, inspire and intrigue Professional Engineering readers.
You’ll join a talented in-house team but will also work with great freelance writers. Apart from the skills and knowledge required, you’ll be an expert headline writer, have a good idea about promoting content on social media, and be creative when it comes to discussing layout with our art team. We always aim to present content in visually exciting ways – both for print and online.
Caspian is an award-winning content agency based in Chelsea Harbour which is a stone’s throw away from Imperial Wharf station and one stop away from Clapham Junction.
Day-to-day activities would include:
• Writing and commissioning long-form features (1700-2000 words) to highest standards
• Writing daily news stories for the website, as required
• Contributing layout ideas for features in print
• Knowledge of SEO, experience in headline writing
• Managing freelancers
• Working with the editor to continually improve our content
• Identifying and implementing new social media opportunities
• Keep a watching brief on competitive publications and digital outputs
• Attend meetings, conferences and other events both in the UK and internationally
• Suggest and attend reporting trips not connected to client-related events
• Attend the monthly PE editorial board meetings with the client, should the editor be absent
Skills (other than those already stated above):
• A degree in journalism (or equivalent)
• Excellent writing and editing skills and grasp of technical subject matter
• A degree or relevant experience in tech, engineering or applied science (strongly desirable)
• Proven print journalism skills
• Proven digital experience and good grasp of digital platforms
• Management skills (desirable)
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong commercial awareness
• Enthusiastic, resourceful and creative approach
To apply please send your CV to email@example.com in the first instance. We’ll next communicate to those we invite to interview.